If you're like us, the summer weather has your daydreaming of a road trip with friends or family. Before you hit the road, make sure you're ready for the unexpected with a fully-equipped emergency roadside kit.
No matter what shape your vehicle is in, roadside emergencies hit when you least expect them. That’s why keeping an emergency roadside kit in your car is just as important as keeping your CAA Membership card in your wallet. If you’re stranded in a remote or unfamiliar location, it’s a good idea to have some basic materials on hand while you’re waiting for CAA Emergency Roadside Services to arrive.
There are a few essential items to keep you safe, warm and healthy in case of roadside trouble:
- Jumper cables in case your situation is easily remedied with a quick boost
- Tire pressure gauge to check the condition of your vehicle, as low tire pressure can lead to damaged rims
- Flashlight to prevent battery drainage
- Portable USB charger for your cellphone and other electronics. It is useful to have a fully charged phone to track your CAA driver’s whereabouts through our smartphone app or to call emergency services if they are needed
- Small first aid kit with bandages and disinfectant, in case of minor injuries
- Non-perishable food items to snack on during your wait, such as bottled water and energy bars
- Weather appropriate attire including thermal blankets and a waterproof jacket
- Compact shovel, ice scraper and extra washer fluid
- Your CAA Membership card, which has the contact information you need written on it
Your emergency roadside kit is fully customizable, so pack the most essential emergency items you think you'll need.