Pets are curious and we know that they tend to explore their worlds with their mouths! Review these tips that help prevent pet poisoning and keep your pet safe.
The kitchen may be where the family gathers, but it’s also where you can find foods that are hazardous to cats and dogs.
Toxic Foods to Watch Out For
Be extra vigilant with the broom when these items fall on the floor, and make sure to store them securely in a high cupboard.
Chocolate (especially dark chocolate)
Sugar-free treats or peanut butter containing xylitol
Cherry and apricot pits
What Else is Lurking Around the House?
It’s not just food you need to keep an eye on. Keep these items out of reach too.
- Essential oils, both diffused and directly applied
- Candles not made from soy or beeswax
- Human drugs or vitamins
- Rat poison
- Cleaning products
Poison Prevention Tips
- Teach your pet to stay out of the kitchen.
- Give them a job to do, like the “Place” command, when you’re preparing meals.
- Supervise your pet at all times, especially if you’ve got a counter surfer. If you need to step out of the kitchen, put your dog somewhere safe like a crate.
- Make sure to clean up all remnants from the floor.
- Purchase safe alternatives when possible, like peanut butter without xylitol.
- If your dog has a habit of picking things up off the ground outside, you can keep him or her safe with a basket muzzle that allows proper panting but makes it more difficult to grab potentially dangerous items.
- Teach your dog the “out” or “leave it” command, which essentially means “drop whatever is in your mouth and disengage.” This could be a lifesaver when it comes to toxic foods or choking hazards.
- Agitation, tremors and/or convulsions
- Low energy
- Abnormal heart rate
- Pale gums
Consider Pet Insurance
CAA Niagara has partnered with Pets Plus Us to help you cope and mitigate the costs incurred if your pet gets sick or injured. A discount of 12% is available to CAA Members, while non-Members save 7%. Click here to get a quote.
Be sure to review our Pet Insurance options so you can spend less time worrying about vet costs, and more time having fun with your pet.
*CAA Members receive a preferred rate of 12% off. Non-members receive a preferred rate of 7% off.
All pet insurance plans have limitations and exclusions. Specific products, features, rates, and discounts may vary by province and territory, eligibility, and are subject to change. Medical Conditions that are noted, symptomatic or diagnosed prior to enrollment, or during a waiting period are pre-existing to Coverage and not eligible for reimbursement. Waiting periods, annual deductible, co-insurance, benefit limits and exclusions may apply. This advertisement is an outline only; policy terms and conditions 'User Guide' will prevail. For all terms and conditions visit: https://www.petsplusus.com/service-claims/brochures-guides
© 2022 All rights reserved. Pets Plus Us Pet Insurance policies are underwritten by Northbridge General Insurance Corporation, distributed by PTZ Insurance Services Ltd. & Société d'Assurances Collectives (Sodaco) Inc. in Quebec. Pets Plus Us Pet Insurance is available in all provinces and territories. Pets Plus Us®, Pets Plus Us & Design and related words and logos are trademarks and the property of PTZ Insurance Services Ltd.
®: Registered trademark of Canadian Automobile Association used under license.
This shall not be interpreted as an offer or solicitation of insurance products by Canadian Automobile Association.