A dinner time classic - spaghetti and meatballs is one of the most popular meals out there. The advent of this all-time favourite came about in the late 1800s to the early 1900s as a wave of Italian immigrants made their way to America - New York City to be exact.
While it is not commonly served in Italy, newcomers drew inspiration for the dish from their roots and combined it with North American culture thus creating a mouthwatering masterpiece. This spaghetti and meatballs recipe is very easy to follow and one the entire family will love.
- jar of strained tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Tsp of dried oregano
- Tsp dried basil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare a large baking tray with parchment paper
- Swirl some olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat.
- Add garlic, oregano, basil and pepper flakes and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add strained tomatoes and Parmesan, then season to taste and reduce heat to low.
- Add all of ingredients for meatballs into a large bowl and mix well with hands.
- Form golf ball sized meatballs and place on prepared tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes then add meatballs to the sauce to finish cooking.
- Bring a large pot salted water to boil and cook spaghetti as directed.
- Top spaghetti with sauce, meatballs, extra Parmesan and fresh basil if desired.
We hope you enjoy this culinary classic. Soon enough we'll all be able to sit down at a local spot in Manhattan's Little Italy and enjoy a nice plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Until then, keep the travel dream alive and embrace the flavours of the world.